Reza Masoomi, MC, FACC. RVPI
Cardiovascular Disease, Interventional Cardiology, Peripheral Vascular Disease
Dr. Masoomi earned his medical degree from Tehran University of Medical Services, Tehran, Iran, graduating Summa Cum Laude. He completed completed a post-doctorate research fellowship at Tehran University Medical Sciences and Ronald Regan UCLA Medical Center. Dr. Masoomi completed both his internal medicine Residency and his Cardiovascular Fellowship at the University of Kansas School of Medicine receiving the Residency Excellence Award in 2014, 2015 & 2016. He completed his interventional Cardiology Fellowship at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York. He holds Board Certifications in Internal Medicine (ABIM), Cardiovascular Disease, and Interventional Cardiology. In addition, Dr. Masoomi is a certified Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation (RVPI), holds a Certification of Board of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (CBCCT) and is certified in Adult Echocardiography (NBE).
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- American Heart Association
- Society of Vascular Medicine
- Fellow, Society of Cardiovascular Angiography & Intervention
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- National Organization for the Development of Exceptional Talents (NODET)
- Masoomi R, Lancaster E, Robinson A, Hacker E, Krajcer Z, Gupta K. Safety of EndoAnchors in real-world use: A report from the Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience database. Vascular. 2019 Oct;27 PMID: 30991897; PMCID: PMC6767639.
- Masoomi R, Patel NV, Gupta K. The National Inpatient Sample Is Not an Appropriate Database to Assess the Incidence of Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Apr 23. PMID: 29673515.
- Oni OA, Dehkordi SHH, Jazayeri MA, Sharma R, Sharma M, Masoomi R, Sharma R, Gupta K, Barua RS. Relation of Testosterone Normalization to Mortality and Myocardial Infarction in Men With Previous Myocardial Infarction; Am J Cardiol. 2019 Oct 15; PMID: 31409450.
- Prasad A, Hughston H, Michalek J, Trevino A, Gupta K, Martinez JP, Hoang DT, Wu PB, Banerjee S, Masoomi R. Acute kidney injury in patients undergoing endovascular therapy for critical limb ischemia. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 Oct 1; PMID:31419029.
- Shah Z, Mohammed M, Vuddanda V, Ansari MW, Masoomi R, Gupta K. National Trends, Gender, Management, and Outcomes of Patients Hospitalized for Myocarditis. Am J Cardiol. 2019 Jul 1; PMID: 31060730.
- Lippmann M, Isom N, Buechler T, Dalia T, Masoomi R, Mabry T, Wetzel L, Sharma A, Gray B, Gupta K. Subclinical involvement of common carotid arteries in patients with fibromuscular dysplasia – a case-control study. Vasa. 2019 Nov; PMID:31414617.
- Isom N, Masoomi R, Thors A, Bunte M, Prasad A, Hance K, Gupta K. Guidewire fracture during orbital atherectomy for peripheral artery disease: Insights from the Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience database. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 Feb 1;PMID: 30387234.
- Shurtleff E, Vanderhyde M, Fitzwater F, Masoomi R, Maletsky L, Thomas P, Vamanan K, Gupta K. A novel unembalmed human cadaveric limb model for assessing conformational changes in self-expanding nitinol stents in the popliteal artery. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 Jan 1; PMID: 30362246.
- Dalia T, Masoomi R, Sahu KK, Gupta K. Cardiac tamponade causing severe reversible hyponatraemia. BMJ Case Rep. 2018 Jan 3;2018; PMID: 29298795; PMCID: PMC5775762.
- Masoomi R, Patel NV, Gupta K. The National Inpatient Sample Is Not an Appropriate Database to Assess the Incidence of Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Apr 23; PMID: 29673515.
- Masoomi R, Shah Z, Arany Z, Gupta K. Peripartum cardiomyopathy: An epidemiologic study of early and late presentations. Pregnancy Hypertens. 2018 Jul;13; PMID:30177065.
- Isom N, Masoomi R, Alli A, Gupta K. Congenital Renal Arteriovenous Malformation: A Rare but Treatable Cause of Hypertension. Am J Case Rep. 2019 Mar 10; PMID: 30852581; PMCID: PMC6698062.
- Masoomi R, Shah Z, Quint C, Hance K, Vamanan K, Prasad A, Dawn B, Gupta K. A nationwide analysis of 30-day readmissions related to critical limb ischemia. Vascular. 2018 Jun;26; PMID: 28836900.
- Hosseini Dehkordi SH, Masoomi R, Thomas JA, Love T, Sharma A, Sagar TaduruS, Abicht T, Hockstad ES, Rosamond T. Multimodality Imaging in Preparation for Successful Surgical Correction of Giant Right Coronary Artery to Coronary Sinus Fistula. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2019 Apr; PMID: 30929465.
- Shah Z, Masoomi R, Tadros P. Managing Antiplatelet Therapy and Anticoagulants in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease and Atrial Fibrillation. J Atr Fibrillation. 2015 Dec 31; PMID:27957230; PMCID: PMC5135189.
- Shah Z, Rali A, Vuddanda V, Bullinger K, Masoomi R, Stehlik J, Gupta K. Acute Coronary Syndromes in Heart Transplant Recipients (from a National Database Analysis). Am J Cardiol. 2018 Dec 1; PMID: 30442224.
- Gupta K, Sharma R, Singh V, Masoomi R, Dileepan KN, He J, Smith DD, Dawn B, Grasing K. Intravenous Cocaine Results in an Acute Decrease in Levels of Biomarkers of Vascular Inflammation in Humans. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2018 Aug;18; PMID: 29372505.
- Shah Z, Vuddanda V, Rali AS, Pamulapati H, Masoomi R, Gupta K. National Trends and Procedural Complications from Endomyocardial Biopsy: Results from the National Inpatient Sample, 2007-2014. Cardiology. 2018; Epub 2018 Dec 5. PMID: 30517933.
- Shah Z, Wiley M, Sridhar AM, Masoomi R, Biria M, Lakkireddy D, Dawn B, Gupta K. Inverse Correlation of Venous Brain Natriuretic Peptide Levels with Body Mass Index Is due to Decreased Production. Cardiology. 2017; Epub 2017 Apr 8; PMID: 28391273.
- Shah Z, Masoomi R, Thapa R, Wani M, Chen J, Dawn B, Rymer M, Gupta K. Optimal Medical Management Reduces Risk of Disease Progression and Ischemic Events in Asymptomatic Carotid Stenosis Patients: A Long-Term Follow-Up Study. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2017; Epub 2017 Jul 8; PMID: 28689200.
- Masoomi R, Shah Z, Dawn B, Vamanan K, Nanjundappa A, Gupta K. Progression of external and internal carotid artery stenosis is associated with a higher risk of ischemic neurologic events in patients with asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. Vasc Med. 2017 Oct;22; PMID: 28830296
- Matsumura K, Gevorgyan R, Mangels D, Masoomi R, Mojadidi MK, Tobis J. Comparison of residual shunt rates in five devices used to treat patent foramen ovale. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2014 Sep 1; PMID: 24550064.
Abstract and international conferences:
- Reza Masoomi, Jenny Cho, Kirk Hance, Zubair Shah, Buddhadeb Dawn and Kamal Gupta, Prevalence Predictors and Clinical Implications of 90-Day Readmission for Patients with Critical Limb Ischemia, Circulation. 2016;134:A18030, November 11, 2016
- Masoomi R, Baber U, Kini A, Temporary trend and outcome of mechanical circulatory support in elective hemodynamically stable high risk percutaneous coronary intervention, Journal of the American college of cardiology.2020, 75 (11 supplement 1), 1240
- Masoomi R, Shah Z, Parashara D, Dawn B, Gupta K. Timely use of right heart catheterization is associated with reduced in-hospital mortality in patients with congestive heart failure: insight from the United States national inpatient sample database. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69(11_S):761.
- Prasad Gunasekaran, Reza Masoomi, Dusan Stanojevic, Taylor Drees, John Fritzlen, Megan Haghnegahdar, Matthew McCullough, Kamal Gupta. Clinical Presentation, Natural History and Current Management Practice of Coronary Artery Ectasia. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 201;89(S2): S121
- Bashar Amr, Reza Masoomi, Peter Tadros, Mark Wiley, Trip Zorn, Gregory Muehlebach, Mark Reichuber, Kamal Gupta. Effect of Baseline Right Heart Hemodynamic Parameters on In-hospital Outcomes after Elective Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 201;89(S2): S168
- Reza Masoomi, Peter N. Tadros, Buddhadeb Dawn, Kamal Gupta. Comparison of Incidence, and Predictors of Short-term Hospital Readmissions After Transcatheter vs Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement: Insight From the Nationwide Readmissions Database (NRD). Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 201;89(S2): S194
- Prasad C. Gunasekaran, Reza Masoomi, Dusan Stanojevic, Taylor Drees, John Fritzlen, Megan Haghnegahdar, Matthew McCullough, Ashwani Mehta, Matthew Earnest, Mark Wiley, Eric Hockstad, Peter Tadros, Kamal Gupta. Clinical presentation, natural history and management of coronary artery ectasia. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69(11_S):1388
- Reza Masoomi, Buddhadeb Dawn, Kamal Gupta In-hospital management and outcomes in pregnancy associated acute myocardial infarction: results from the United States national inpatient sample database, ESC 2016
- Reza Masoomi, Buddhadeb Dawn, Kamal Gupta Disparities in In-Hospital Management of Patients with Critical Limb Ischemia Due to Peripheral Arterial Disease: Results From the National Inpatient Sample (NIS) Database, SCAI 2016 Scientific Sessions (best of the best poster award)
- Masoomi, Zubair Shah, Buddhadeb Dawn, Kamal Gupta Incidence, Predictors and In-Hospital Mortality Following Acute Renal Failure Requiring Hemodialysis in Patients with ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Interventions: Insights from NIS Database, SCAI 2016 Scientific Sessions (best of the best poster award)
- Reza Masoomi, Zubair Shah, Buddhadeb Dawn, Kamal Gupta In-hospital management and outcomes in HIV seropositive and seronegative individuals with acute non-ST segment elevation myocardial infarction:
results from the national inpatient sample database, Journal of the American College of Cardiology67(13):578, March 2016
- Reza Masoomi, Zubair Shah, Buddhadeb Dawn, Kamal Gupta In-hospital management and outcomes in HIV seropositive and seronegative individuals with acute non-ST segment elevation myocardial infarction: results from the national inpatient sample database, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 40 67(13):460, March 2016
- Reza Masoomi, Zubair Shah, Karthik Vamanan, Buddhadeb Dawn, Kamal Gupta Utility of external carotid velocity progression for risk stratification in asymptomatic carotid stenosis: hiding in plain sight, Journal of the American College of Cardiology 67(13):2314 March 2016
- Zubair Shah, Reza Masoomi, Matthew Lippmann, Kamal Gupta a study of trends and in-hospital management and outcomes in acute myocarditis: results from the national inpatient sample (NIS) database, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 67(13):1532, March 2016
- Zubair Shah, Reza Masoomi, Kamalakar Surineni, Buddhadeb Dawn, Kamal Gupta Chronic Kidney Disease as an Independent Predictor of Progression of Internal Carotid Artery Stenosis, Ischemic Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack in Asymptomatic Patients with Mild or Moderate Internal Carotid Artery Stenosis, SCAI 2015 Scientific Sessions, May, 2015, San Diego, CA,USA
- Zubair Shah, Rashmi Thapa, Mashood Wani, Suresh Sharma, Taylor Myers, Kamalakar Surineni, Chris Johnson, Lauren Penn, John Fritzlen, Reza Masoomi, Prasad Gunasekaran, G. John Chen, Buddhadeb Dawn, Kamal Gupta, Effect of Aggressive Lipid Therapy on Progression of Carotid Artery Stenosis: A Long-term Follow up Study, American College of Cardiology 64th Annual Scientific Session, San Diego, CA,USA
- Reza Masoomi, Zubair Shah, Kamalakar Surineni, Thomas Rosamond, The Prevalence and Anatomical Patterns of Intra-cavitary Coronary Arteries: Detection by Coronary Computed Tomographic Angiography, American College of Cardiology 64th Annual Scientific Session, San Diego, CA, USA,
Reza Masoomi, Suman Kambhampati, A case of spontaneous heparin-induced thrombocytopenia syndrome, ACP- KS Chapter, Kansas City, KS, USA, 2015
- Masoomi, R. Gevorgyan R. Tobis, J., White Matter Lesions Are Not Associated with the Presence of Right-to-Left Shunt. American College of Cardiology 62nd Annual Scientific Session, San Francisco, CA, USA