The WATCHMAN Implant offers patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation an important alternative to long-term oral anticoagulant therapy. It is the only FDA-approved implant proven to reduce the risk of stroke in people with AFib not caused by heart valve problems, who need an alternative to blood thinners. This one-time procedure is a small permanent fabric-covered implant designed to close the left upper chamber (left atrial appendage) in the heart in an effort to reduce the risk of stroke from harmful-sized blood clots leaving the LAA and entering the blood stream.
Blood thinners (anticoagulants) are very effective in lowering AFib stroke risk, and most people an take them for years without serious side effects. But for some, anticoagulants can be too risky due to bleeding complications or too difficult to tolerate because of side effects, for these patients there is an alternative: The WATCHMAN Implant. This permanent implant can reduce your risk of stroke as effectively as oral anticoagulants and can eliminate the need for regular blood tests, food and drink restrictions and bleeding risks that come with oral anticoagulant therapy.
WATCHMAN may be right for people who:
- Have Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) not caused by heart valve problems
- Have been recommended for blood thinning medications by their doctor.
- Can take warfarin (coumadin) but need an alternative to blood thinners for any one of these reasons:
- They have a history of major bleeding while taking blood thinners.
- They have a medical condition, lifestyle or occupation that puts them at risk for major bleeding.
- They have trouble staying wit hthe recommended blood clotting range (INR) or getting regular blood tests to confirm their INR, and cannot take another blood thinner besides warfarin.
Does this describe you? If you think so, please contact our office for a consultation.