Richard R. Heuser, MD, FACC, FACP, FESC, MSCAI
Preventative Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Peripheral Intervention, Treatment of Venous Disease, Carotid Intervention and Stenting.
Dr. Heuser received his medical degree from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine Madison, Wisconsin and completed his medical internship and residency, as well as cardiology fellowship at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. He is an internationally recognized cardiologist, inventor, educator, and author and is a diplomat of the American Board of Cardiovascular Diseases and the American Board of Interventional Cardiovascular Diseases. He is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Arizona College of Medicine, as well as past Director of the Interventional Fellowship Program at the University of Arizona College of Medicine, Phoenix Campus. He is Professor of Practice, College of Health Solutions, Arizona State University.
Dr. Heuser is the former President of the Arizona Chapter of the American Heart Association and remains a member of the Board. He was named 2010 Health Care Hero by the Phoenix Business Journal in Arizona. He was awarded the Top Innovation award for his technology at the 2016 CRT meeting. He was also named Physician of the Year at the 2016 Arizona Business Magazine Healthcare Leadership Awards. He recently was honored to participate in the 40th Anniversary of Angioplasty in Zurich, Switzerland.
He has authored numerous articles, textbooks, and medical manuscript, and is frequently invited to international medical conferences to present findings of research developed in Phoenix, Arizona.
American Heart Journal
- Ellis SG, Mooney M, Talley DJ, Silber S, Teirstein PS, Rodriguez AR, Sanborn TA, Feldman T, Leon M, Collins TJ, Wilentz JR, Saucedo JF, Leimgruber PP, Pichard A, Cohen DJ, Ramee SR, Heuser RR, Smalling RW, Kuntz RE, Gershony G: Assessment of the safety and efficacy of the Duett™ vascular hemostasis device – Final results of the Seal Trial. Am Heart J 2002; 143:612-619.
- Silber S. Popma JJ, Suntharalingam M, Lansky AJ, Heuser RR, Speiser B, Teirstein PS, Bass T, O’Neill W, Lasala J, Reisman M, Sharma SK, Kuntz RE, Bonan R. for the START Investigators: Two-year clinical follow-up of 90Sr/90 Y B-radiation versus placebo-control for the treatment of in-stent restenosis. Am Heart J 2005; 149:689-694.
American Journal of Cardiology
- Heuser RR: Patients with ischemic mitral regurgitation treated with percutaneous coronary intervention. Readers Comment. Am J of Cardiol 2015;115:704-705.
American Journal of Nephrology
- Hering D, Hubbard BS, Weber MA, HeuserRR. Impact of Renal Pelvic Denervation on Systemic Hemodynamics and Neurohumoral Changes in a Porcine Model. A J Nephrol 2021 DOI: 10.1159/000516186.
- Angioplasty Summit TCTAP Daily News
- Heuser RR: Endovascular Session 3. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. Challenging Complications of EVAR and Smart Solutions. Endovascular Arena. 17th Annual (2012), pp.13-14, Seoul, Korea.
Cardiac Interventions Today
- Quash J, Heuser RR, Optical coherence reflectometry in coronary CTO’s: A review of the history and emerging role in chronic coronary total occlusions. Cardiac Interventions Today, December 2007; 1(4);51-53.
- Sairav B. Shah, MD, Richard R. Heuser, MD: CTO: Current Technique Overview. A look at today’s strategies used to get through coronary chronic total occlusions. Cardiac Interventions Today, January/February 2009;3(1);58-63.
Cardiovascular Disorders Medicine
- Heuser RR: Support is Everything. Cardiovasc Disord Med 2016.
Cardiovascular Revascularization Medicine
- Heuser, RR, Murarka S, Rahman S, Eid N: Remodeling of the Mitral Valve Using Radio-Frequency Energy: Review of a New Treatment Modality for Mitral Regurgitation. Cardio Rev Med; 11(2010)249-259.
- Marella, PC, Heuser RR: The Impella Ventricular Assist Device: Use in Patients at High Risk for Coronary Interventions: Successful Multivessel Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in a 62 Year Old High Risk Patient. Cardio Rev Med; September 2010, 69-70.
- Heuser RR: Innovation In Interventional Cardiology: A Thing of the Past? Cardio Rev Med; 12(2011) 271-272.
- Heuser RR: CTO Club: Revisiting the Final Frontier in PCI. Cardio Rev Med; 2012(13)77-78.
- Heuser RR, Marella PC, Talluri S, Schwartz R: Use of Acist contract injection device in carotid artery stenting in high-surgical-risk patients. Cardio Rev Med; 2013(14)333-337.
- Heuser RR. Letter to the Editor. How to Skin a Cath. Cardio Rev Med; March 2015:16(2) 131.
- Heuser RR: Another option for embolic protection: Suck-U-Surge. Cardio Rev Med; 2015;16(1):62.
- Heuser RR: Letter to Editor. One Stroke Too Many…Are We Underutilizing Embolic protection Devices During Catheter and Surgical Intervention? Cardio Rev Med;19 (2018) 475-476.
- Patel, NJ, Mhatre AU, Heuser RR: Commentary. Use of the Ocelot catheter in iliac chronic total occlusion intervention. Cardio Rev Med;19(7 pt A):737. Pubmed ID: 30100407.
- NJ Patel, Mhatre AU, Heuser RR. Changing the paradigm in renal denervation: Is trans-urethral access the key to effective blood pressure reduction? Cardio Rev Med; 20(1):83-85. Pubmed ID: 30340953.
- Heuser RR, Mhatre AU, Patel NJ. A Belt and Suspenders: Suction and a Filter to Reduce Embolic Events. Cardio Rev Med; 2019. In Press. 10.1016/j.carrev.2019.10.028.
- Patel NJ, Paz E, Mhatre AU, Heuser RR: Permanent Carotid Filter Placement and Atrial Fibrillation: An Alternative to Anticoagulation or Left Atrial Appendage Exclusion? Cardio Rev Med; 2020.doi.org/10.1016/j.carrev.2020.09.016.
- Heuser RR: Inside the Kidney to Treat Hypertension: An Alternative Approach to Renal Denervation. Cardio Rev Med; Volume 34, January 2022, Pages 150-151.
- Heuser RR: The use of covered stents in coronary aneurysms: Effective and safe but still not FDA approved. December 23, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carrev.2021.12.015.
Cath Lab Digest
- Murarka S, Lassetter J, Waters K, Scherger S, Heuser RR: Chronic Total Occlusions in the Coronary Vasculature. Cath Lab Digest, 2010; Cover Story.
- Heuser RR. An Alternative to Complex Saphenous Vein Graft Intervention with a Covered Stent: The Suck-u-Surge Technique. Cath Lab Digest, January 2015.
- Heuser RR. Same Problem, Different Solution. Cath Lab Digest 2015;23(5).
- Heuser RR. Introduction of the CrossLock™for Coronary and Peripheral Intervention. Cath Lab Digest. October 2016.
- Heuser RR. New tools for treatment of chronic total occlusions of the peripheral arteries. Cath Lab Digest. Vol 24(12) December 2016. AMP Show Daily August 11:8, 10.
- Heuser RR. Fem-Pop Graft Failure: Resurrection with the CrossLock LP™. Cath LabDigest. Vol26(2); February 2018.
- Heuser RR, Gordon G. Fight the Resistance: The use of the Ostial Flash Balloon in a highly resistive Right Coronary Artery Lesion. Cath Lab Digest. 2018; 26(12).
- Patel NJ, Heuser RR. Guide catheter: Not just for complex percutaneous intervention: Centering support and contrast savings: A fellow’s first case. Cath Lan Digest 2018;26(11). Available online at: https://www.cathlabdigest.com/article/Guide-Catheter-Extension-Not-Just-Complex-Percutaneous-Coronary-Interventions.
- Heuser RR. Can Radial Access Be a Practical Alternative to Treat Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD)? A Different (Safer) Approach to Treat PVD: Experience With a Radial Sheathless Guide. Cath Lab Digest. May 2019.
- Patel N, Jost,C, Barry M, Lipskind S, Heuser RR. Zero Contrast Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Using the SyncVision Precision Guidance System; Cath Lab Digest. November 2020.
Catheterization Cardiovascular Diagnosis
- Patel NJ, Mhatre AU, Heuser RR. Suck-U-Surge: Another alternative for embolic protection. Editorial. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv:2018;11(24):2546-2547. Pubmed ID: 30573067.
- Patel NJ, Mhatre AU, Heuser RR. It’s what’s inside that matters: Getting to the source in renal denervation. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv:. 2019;93(3):503-505. Pubmed ID: Patel N, Heuser RR.
- Physiologic liquid plumber: A novel treatment to facilitate crossing of chronic total occlusions. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. April 2022. https://doi.org/10.1002/ccd.30171.
- Margolis J, McDonald J, Heuser RR, Klinke P, Waksman R, Virmani R, Desai N, Hilton D: Systematic nanoparticle paclitaxel (nab-Paclitaxel) for in-stent restenosis I (SNAPIST-I): A first-in-human safety and dose-finding study. Clin Cardiol; 2007; 165-170.
Current Hypertension Reviews
- Patel NJ, Mhatre AU, Heuser RR. Treating resistant hypertension via transurethral renal denervation of the renal pelvis. Current Hypertension Reports. 2019. [In press]
- Heuser RR, Safian R, Bosiers M, Turco M: Orbital Atherectomy. Endovascular Today 2006 September (5); 9:20-26.
Expert Review of Medical Devices
- Richard R. Heuser, MD: Treatment of lower extremity vascular disease: Experience with the Cardiovascular Systems, Inc., Diamondback 360™ Orbital System. Expert Rev Med Devices May 2008;5(3), 279-286.
- Murarka S, Heuser RR: Chronic Total Occlusions in Peripheral Vasculature: Techniques and Devices. Expert Rev. Cardiovasc. Ther. 7(1), 1283-1995(2009).
- Murarka S, Hatler C, Heuser RR: PTFE Covered Stents: 15 Years of Hope, Success and Failure. Expert Rev Cardiovasc. Ther. 8(5), 645-650 (2010.).
- Heuser RR, Cordero H, Gupta N, Underwood PL, Gogte ST: Intracoronary autologous blood to seal a coronary perforation. Herz 2001; 26:157-160.
Indian Heart Journal
- Baweja GS, Heuser RR: Current perspective in endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Indian Heart J 2008.
- Ly S, Assar S, Heuser RR: An overview of modern embolic protection in percutaneous coronary intervention. Indian Heart J 2008;60:91-94.
Journal of Cardiology Cases
- Heuser RR: Support With a Twist: New Approaches in CTOs and Complex Lesions.
- J Cardiol Cases 2017. In press.
Journal of Endovascular Surgery/Therapy
- Charan Yerasi, Heuser RR. Letter to Editor. You Can but Should You: Alternatives When Embolic Protection Is Difficult in Carotid Stenting. J Endovasc Therapy 2019, Vol. 26(3) 425.
- Patel NJ. Agasthi P, Mhatre AU, Heuser RR. Out of the Mind of Edward B. Diethrich: The Development of the Polytetrafluoroethylene Covered Coronary Stent. J Endovasc Therapy November 2019. Editorial.https://doi.org/10.1177/1526602819887953
Molecular and Cellular Probes
- Fry S, Ellis JE, Heuser RR, Schwartz R, Shabilla MA, Martinez DL, Heninburg AM: Evidence for polymicrobial communities in explanted vascular filters and atheroma debris. Molecular and Cellular Probes 33(2017):65-77.
Progress in Cardiovascular Disease
- Heuser RR: The role for cardiologists in stroke intervention. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases (2017), doi: 10.1016/j.pead.2017.05.002.
The American Heart Hospital Journal
- Kirvaitis R, Reese A, Waters K, Kelly L, Heuser RR: Devices for chronic occlusion. The Am Heart Hosp J; 4(2);106-112.
The American Journal of Cardiology
- Donald S. Baim, MD, Greg Baden, MD, Heuser RR, MD, Jeffrey J. Opoma MD, Donald E. Cutlip, MD, Joseph M. Massaro, PhD, Sachin Marulkar, MPH, Linda J. Arvay, RN, MBA and Richard E. Kuntz, MD, MSc: Utility of the safe-cross-guided radiofrequency total occlusion crossing system in chronic coronary total occlusions (Results from the Guided Radio Frequency Energy Ablation of Total Occlusions Registry Study). Am J Cardiol 2004; 94:853-858.
- Kirvaitis R, Heuser RR, Das T, Laster S, Dippel E, Gammon R, Botti Jr C, Murphy B, Biggs T, Shimshak T, Laird J, Foster M, Wholey M: Usefulness of optical coherent reflectometry with guided radiofrequency energy to treat chronic total occlusions in peripheral arteries (The GRIP Trial). Am J Cardiol 2004; 94:1081-1084.
- Heuser RR: Patients with Ischemic Mitral Regurgitation Treated with Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Am J Cardiol 2015; 115(5):704-705.
The Journal of Invasive Cardiology
- Heuser RR, Houser F, Culler SD, Becker ER, Battaglia SL, Tarkington L, Simon AW: A retrospective study of 6,671 patients comparing coronary stenting and balloon angioplasty. J Invas Cardiol 2000; 12:354-362.
- Heuser RR, Laskey W, Lansky A, Popma J, Bonan R: Beta radiation in lesions >15 min: A START subgroup. J Invas Cardiol 2003; 15:15:641-3.
- Morales P, Kirvaitis R, Heuser RR: Initial experience in the treatment of chronic superficial femoral artery occlusions with fiberoptic guidance technology. J Invas Cardiol 2004; 16:485-588.
- Ali I, Butman S, Heuser RR: Crossing a chronic total occlusion using combination therapy with Tornus and Flow Cardia. J Invas Cardiol 2006; 18:E258-260.
- Moualla S, Khan S, Heuser RR: Anchoring improved: Introduction of a new over-the-wire support balloon. J Invasiv Cardiol 2014; (9):#130-132.
- Heuser RR: Treatment for Coronary Aneurysms: Twenty Years of Experience with Covered Stents. Letter to the Editor. J Invasiv Cardiol 2015; (27):#2.
- Heuser RR: Saphenous vein graft intervention: The “EPD Gap” and how it can be approached with a simple technique. J Invasiv Cardiol 2015; (27):E175-E176.
- Heuser RR, Zang K, Mollen AJ. A step forward: The use of the CrossLock Catheter in a patient with critical limb ischemia and a popliteal occlusion. J Invasiv Cardiol 2016; (28):E13-16.
- Patel NJ, Heuser RR, Pershad A,. Clinical images percutaneous biventricular mechanical circulatory support with Impella CP®. J Invasiv Cardiol 2018; InPress.
- Patel NJ, Heuser RR, Pershad A. Percutaneous Biventricular Mechanical Circulatory Support with Impella CP® and ProtekDuo® plus TandemHeart®. J Invasiv Cardiol;2019;31(2):E11. Pubmed ID: 30700635.
- Patel NJ, Mhatre A, Gordon G, Heuser RR. Adventitial cystic disease of the popliteal artery contributing to Supera® stent fracture. J Invasiv Cardiol 2019;31(6):E160-161. Pubmed ID: 31158817.
- Patel NJ, Verma DR, Gopalan R, Heuser RR, Pershad A. Percutaneous Biventricular Mechanical Circulatory Support With Impella CP and Protek Duo Plus TandemHeart. J Invasive Cardiol. 2019;31(2):E11. Pubmed ID: 30700635.
- Patel NJ, Baker SM, Pershad A, Heuser RR, Paterick TE. Entrapped coronary arteries in constrictive pericarditis. J Invasive Cardiol. 2019.
- Patel NJ, Gordon G, Mhatre AU, Verma DR, Pershad A, Heuser RR. Adventitial cystic disease of the popliteal artery contributing to Supera stent fracture. J Invasive Cardiol. 2019;31(6):E160-E161. Pubmed ID: 31158817.
- Patel NJ, Baker SM, Pershad A, Heuser RR, Paterick TE. Entrapped Coronary Arteries in
- Constrictive Pericarditis. J Invasive Cardiol. 2021;33(8).
Additional Publications and those prior to 2000, Textbook Chapters & Abstracts available upon request
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Cambridge Who’s Who Among Executive and Professionals in Research, Medicine and Healthcare; 2010-2011
- 2010 Phoenix Business Journal State Health Care Hero in Education
- 2010 Patients’ Choice Physician
- Marquis Who’s Who in America 66th Edition 2012
- Top Cardiologist in Phoenix, Arizona by the International Association of Cardiologists (IAC), The Leading Physicians of the World 2011, 2012
- Phoenix Super Docs 2012
- 2011 Patients’ Choice Physician
- The American Board of Cardiology Award for Excellence, 2012
- 2014 Phoenix, Arizona Super Doctors
- 2014 Arizona Top Doctor in Cardiology (achieved the highest vote in group)
- 2014 America’s Top Cardiologists
- 2015 America’s Best Physicians
- 2016 CRT Top Cardiovascular Innovation Award
- 2016 Phoenix Magazine Top Doctors
- 2016 America’s Best Physicians
- 2016 American Health Council Best in Healthcare
- 2016 Physician of the Year
- 2017 Arizona Top Business Leaders
- 2017 America’s Best Physicians
- 2017 Phoenix Magazine Top Doctors
- 2017 Top Doctors of Arizona in Cardiovascular Disease
- Editorial Office of Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions (CCI), The official publication of SCAI, Frank Hildner Elite Reviewer 2017.
- America’s Most Honored Professionals 2018. The American Registry.
- Arizona State University President’s Club Ambassador 2017.
- Who’s Who in America 2017.
- 2017 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2018 Arizona Business Leaders Healthcare Innovators
- 2018 Marquis Who’s Who in the World
- 2018 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2018 Phoenix Magazine Top Doctors
- 2019 Phoenix Magazine Top Doctors
- 2019 Marquis Who’s Who in the World
- 2019 Arizona Business Leaders for Innovation
- 2021 Top Cardiologists in Arizona
Dr. Heuser has served as principal investigator to research the safety and/or effectiveness of more than 100 medical devices and 50 pharmaceutical products and has participated in more than 100 research studies.
Principal Investigator – Across Cypher Trial
Sub-Investigator – ACS Multi-Link Stent Trial Principal Investigator – ACS Rx
Principal Investigator – ACT-One Trial, Abbott Vascular Angio-Seal Trial
Principal Investigator – ACT 1, Carotid Angioplasty and Stenting versus endarterectomy in asymptomatic subjects who are at standard risk for carotid endarterectomy with significant extracranial carotid stenotic disease, Abbott Vascular
Principal Investigator – ARMOUR Study, proximal protection with the MO.ma device during carotid stenting, Invatec
Principal Investigator – AVERT, Osprey Medical
Principal Investigator – Balloon Expandable Intraluminal Stent for Subtotally Occluded Iliac Arteries
Principal Investigator – Bard® Memotherm Carotid Stent Study
Principal Investigator – BARRICADE Randomized Trial – The Barrier Approach to Restenosis: Restrict Intima and Curtail Adverse Events (JOMED JOSTENT)
Principal Investigator – BEST Trial
Principal Investigator – BetaCath System Trial
Principal Investigator – Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceutics Protocol Comparing Micardis And COZAAR
Principal Investigator – Boomerang, Cardiva Medical
Principal Investigator – CABERNET Clinical Trial – Carotid Artery Revascularization using the Boston Scientific EPI FilterWire EX™ and the EndoTex™ NexStent™
Principal Investigator – CADILLAC Trial
Principal Investigator – CAPRICORN Trial
Principal Investigator – CAPTIVE – Cardioshield Application Protects During Transluminal Intervention of Vein Grafts by Reducing Emboli
Principal Investigator – CAPTURE 2 Trial, Guidant
Principal Investigator – CARDIOMETRICS
Principal Investigator – Carotid Wallstent Trial
Principal Investigator – CAVEAT II Trial
Principal Investigator – CHAMPION PHOENIX, Cangrelor vs Standard Therapy to Achieve optimal Management of Platelet Inhibition, The Medicines Company
Principal Investigator – CHOCOLATE BAR, The chocolate Balloon Angioplasty Registry, TriReme Medical, Inc
Principal Investigator – Clinical Investigation of the Magnum Wire vs. Standard Guide Wires During Total Occlusion Angioplasty
Principal Investigator – Closure I Trial
Principal Investigator – CHOICE Carotid Stent Trial, Abbott Vascular
Principal Investigator – Carotid Stenting for High-Surgical Risk Patient; Evaluating Outcomes Through the Collection of Clinical Evidence –> Abbott Vascular
Principal Investigator – COMBAT Trial
Principal Investigator – CONFIDENCE study: Carotid stent trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the Roadsaver stent used in conjunction with Nanoparasol embolic protection system for patients at increased risk of adverse events from carotid endarterectomy; Microinvention, Inc.
Principal Investigator – CONNECT, Chronic Total Occlusion Crossing with the Wildcat Catheter, Avinger
Principal Investigator – Cook GR II Trial
Principal Investigator – CORDIS Nitinol Carotid Stent and Delivery System for the Treatment Of Obstructive Carotid Artery Disease
Principal Investigator – Cordis Carotid Randomized Sapphire
Principal Investigator – Cordis Bilateral AAA Device and Delivery System
Principal Investigator – (CATS) Safe-Steer™ Wire System Coronary Artery Total Occlusion Study
Principal Investigator – CREATE PAS, Carotid Revascularization with ev3 Arterial Technology Evolution Post Approval Study, Ev3, Inc
Principal Investigator – CREATE Trial, Ev3
Principal Investigator – CREDO Trial Director CrossLock Study
Principal Investigator – Novaste CUP Trial
Principal Investigator – CVD Accucath Infusion Catheter
Principal Investigator – Duett Closure Device
Principal Investigator – DURABILITY PAS, Post Approval Study, Covidien
Sub-Investigator – ECLIPSE study: Evaluation of treatment for severe calcific coronary Arteries: Orbital atherectomy vs conventional angioplasty technique prior to implantation of drug-eluting stents; CSI Cardiovascular Systems, Inc.
Principal Investigator – ENDEAVOR IV Trial
Principal Investigator – EndoSonics Cath Scanner Oracle – PTCA Catheter
Principal Investigator – ENOVUS Trial
Principal Investigator – EPI FilterWire Ex™ System during Transluminal Intervention of Saphenous Vein Grafts
Principal Investigator – EXACT Carotid Stent Trial, Abbott Vascular
Principal Investigator – EXPERT CTO, Evaluation of the XIENCE Coronary Stent, Performance, and Technique in Chronic Total Occlusion, Abbott Vascular
Principal Investigator – EXTRA Stent
Principal Investigator – FACTOR Trial
Principal Investigator – FAST CTO, BridgePoint Medical
Principal Investigator – GE-145-002, GE Healthcare
Principal Investigator – GEM-REM, A PI initiated proof-of-concept study to determine whether generative model-based resource efficient ecg monitoring (GEM-EM) electrocardiogram monitoring is at least as diagnostically effective in terms of signal quality as traditional monitoring techniques used in hospital settings, Arizona State University
Principal Investigator – GREAT – Guided Radio Frequency Energy Ablation of Total Occlusions Using the Safe-Cross™ Radio Frequency Total Occlusion Crossing System
Principal Investigator – GRIP – Guided Radio Frequency in Peripheral Total Occlusions Crossing System Using the Safe-Cross™ Total Occlusion (TO) Crossing System
Principal Investigator – HIPS Trial
Principal Investigator – Human Percutaneous Laser Angioplasty of the Coronary Arteries
Principal Investigator – IMPROVE IT Trial
Sub-Investigator – ISR 14-04: Post-Approval Study of the GORE VIABAHN Endoprosthesis for the Treatment of In-Stent Restenosis in the SFA; W. Gore & Associates, Inc
Principal Investigator JET Registry, Jetstream NAVITUS System Endovascular Therapy Post-Market Registry, Medrad, Inc
Principal Investigator – JET STREAM 2, Pathway Medical
Principal Investigator – Johnson & Johnson Intracoronary Stent Program Supplement #27 New Delivery System
Principal Investigator – Kensey Nash Hemostatic Puncture Closure Device
Sub-Investigator – LIBERTY 360. Prospective, Observational, Multi-Center Clinical Study to Evaluate Acute and Long Term Clinical and Economic Outcomes of Endovascular Device Intervention in Patients with Distal Outflow Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD); CSI Cardiovascular Systems, Inc
Principal Investigator – LIFE Study. Least Invasive Fast-Track EVAR with the Ovation Prime Abdominal Stent Graft System; Trivascular, Inc.
Principal Investigator – Mansfield-Boston Scientific Strecker Coronary Stent
Principal Investigator – Medtronic AVE S7 with Discrete Technology Coronary Stent System
Principal Investigator – Medtronic AVE S7 Coronary Stent Registry
Principal Investigator – MIST II Trial, NMT Medical MAVERICK Carotid Stent Study, Medtronic AVE
Principal Investigator – MOBILE Trial – More Patency with beta for In-Stent Restenosis in the Lower Extremities Trial IDE #G010295; Protocol D00789 Rev B Dated 12/01
Principal Investigator – NIR Stent Trial
Principal Investigator – Neurex/Elan Pharmaceuticals Trial National Co-PI OASIS Trial, CSI
Principal Investigator PFAST-CTO, Peripheral Facilitated Antegrade Steering Technique in Chronic Total Occlusions Study, BridgePoint, Medical
Principal Investigator – PAMI Stent Trial
Principal Investigator – Paragon Stent
Principal Investigator – Paris Radiation Trial
Principal Investigator – PaS Trial
Principal Investigator – Percutaneous Recanalization of Stenotic Human Coronary Arteries with Balloon Expandable Intracoronary Stents
Principal Investigator – Percutaneous Recanalization of Stenotic Human Saphenous Vein Bypass Graft with Balloon Expandable Intraluminal Stents
Principal Investigator – Percutaneous Thermal Balloon Angioplasty
Sub-Investigator – PLATINUM Diversity Study. Outcomes with the Promus PREMIER™ Stent in Women and Minorities; Boston Scientific
Principal Investigator – PMR Trial
Principal Investigator – Pravastatin or Atorvastatin Evaluation and Infection Therapy (Prove It)
Principal Investigator – PRESERV, Prospective Randomized Evaluation to Study the Effects of Reduced Contrast Media on the Vitality of the Kidney Trial, Osprey Medical
Principal Investigator – PROXIMAL Trial
Principal Investigator – Presto Trial
Principal Investigator – RAVES Trial, PROGUARD, Kensey Nash Corporation
Principal Investigator – PROSPECT Trial
Principal Investigator – RESCUE Trial
Principal Investigator – RESOLUTE US, Medtronic Vascular
Principal Investigator – SAFE-DCB: A Prospective, Multicenter, Single Arm, Real-World Registry Assessing the Clinical Use of the Lutonix 035 Drug Coated Balloon Catheter in Arteries of the SFA and Popliteal Artery; C.R. Bard
Principal Investigator SAFER – Saphenous Vein Graft Angioplasty Free of Emboli Randomized Study Using the PercuSurge Guard Wire™ System
Principal Investigator SAVED Trial
Principal Investigator SAPPHIRE Trial, Cordis, SAPPHIRE WN, Cordis
Principal Investigator Schering-Plough Phase III Study of SCH 58235 in addition to Pravastatin compared to placebo in subject with primary hypercholesterolemia
Principal Investigator Long-Term, Open-Label, Safety and Tolerability Study of SCH 58235 in addition to Pravastatin in Patients with Primary Hypercholesterolemia
Principal Investigator Schneider WINS Trial
Principal Investigator SCORES Trial
Principal Investigator Sepracor Study of Norastemizole in Cardiac Compromised Subjects
Principal Investigator SMART Trial (National PI)
Principal Investigator SMART: Post-Approval Study
Principal Investigator SOAR – Renal Stent, SONOMA, Boston Scientific
Principal Investigator – SONOMA, Boston Scientific
Principal Investigator – Efficacy and Safety Study of the Oral Direct Thrombin Inhibitor H 376/95 Compared with Dose-Adjusted Warfarin (Coumadin) in the Prevention of Stroke and Systemic Embolic Events in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation (SPORTIF V)
Principal Investigator – STARS Trial
Principal Investigator – START Trial (National PI)
Principal Investigator – STRATUS Trial
Principal Investigator – STRESS III Trial
Principal Investigator – SUMO Trial
Principal Investigator – (SWING) Sound Wave Inhibition of Neointimal Growth
Principal Investigator – Talent Endoluminal Graft (High Risk & Low Risk)
Principal Investigator – Talent Endoluminal Spring Stent-Graft System
Principal Investigator – TAMARIS, Sanofi Aventis
Principal Investigator – Tenax-XR Coronary Stent System
Principal Investigator – TITAL Trial
Principal Investigator – Trimedyne Excimer Laser Assisted Percutaneous Coronary Angioplasty
Principal Investigator – Trimedyne Percutaneous Eclipse Holmium Laser Coronary Angioplasty
Principal Investigator – Transvivo Trial
Principal Investigator – VeGAS 2 Trial
Director – Verve Medical Device Study
Sub-Investigator – VIAGAHN BX. Evaluation of the Gore VIABAHN Balloon Expandable Endoprosthesis (VIABAHN BX) for the Treatment of Occlusive Disease in the Common and External Iliac Arteries; W.L. Gore and Associates, Inc.
Sub-Investigator – VIABAHN BX: Evaluation of the GORE VIABAHN BALLOON EXPANDABLE EDOPROSTHESIS for the treatment of occlusive disease in the Common and External Iliac Arteries; W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
Principal Investigator – VIVA Carotid Stent Trial, CR Bard
Principal Investigator – Volcano Registry Trial
Principal Investigator – Volocity Trial Principal Investigator – Venus Stent
Principal Investigator – WALLSTENT Study
Principal Investigator – WIKTOR Coronary Stent
Principal Investigator Abbott rUK Trial
Principal Investigator Ajinimoto Pharmaceuticals Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study of AT-1015 in Patients with Intermittent Claudication due to Peripheral Artery Disease
Principal Investigator Amgen, Inc., Anakinra Trial for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Principal Investigator AstraZeneca Pharmaceutical Trial to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy XXXX and Atorvastatin
Principal Investigator AstraZeneca Trial Open label Dose Comparison Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Rosuvastatin versus Atorvastatin, Pravastatin and Simvastatin in Subjects with Hypercholesterolemia
Principal Investigator Parke-Davis and Pfizer Randomized Open-Label Study Comparing the Efficacy of Once Daily Atorvastatin to Simvastatin in Hypercholesterolemic Patients
Principal Investigator Pilot Study to Evaluate Intracoronary Administration of Activase for the Treatment of Intracoronary Thrombus
Principal Investigator Artistic Trial
Principal Investigator AstraZeneca Trial of Niaspan versus New Generation Statin for the Treatment of Type IIB and Type IV Hyperlipidemia
Principal Investigator AstraZeneca Multicenter Trial for Drug (XXX) and Atorvastatin for the Treatment of Hypercholesterolemia
Principal Investigator BRAVO Trial
Principal Investigator BioVail Angina and Hypertension Trial
Principal Investigator CAMPER Trial
Principal Investigator CAPRICORN Trial
Principal Investigator Challenge Trial
Principal Investigator CHAMPION PCI Trial
Principal Investigator Centocor Chimeric 7E3 Fab
Sub-Investigator Comparison of Lopentol and Omnipaque in Adult Angiocardiography
Sub-Investigator Comparison of Intravenous Adenosine to Intravenous Placebo in Termination of Spontaneous or Induced Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachcardia
Principal Investigator CONNECT Trial
Principal Investigator COR Therapeutics Randomized Placebo-Controlled Dose Ranging Study of Drug (XXXX) in Patients with Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular, Peripheral Vascular and/or Cerebrovascular Disease
Sub-Investigator Dose Response Study of Bucindolol in Patients with Congestive Heart Failure
Principal Investigator Effects of Recombinant Human Superoxide Dismutase in Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction Subject to Coronary Artery Reperfusion
Sub-Investigator Eli Lilly – Agitation/Alzheimer’s Trial
Principal Investigator EPILOG Trial
Principal Investigator ERASER Trial
Principal Investigator GUSTO Trial
Principal Investigator A Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-and-Active Controlled Parallel Group Dose-Ranging Study of the HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitor, BMS-423526, in the Treatment of Hyperlipidemia
Principal Investigator Study Lovastatin XL with MEVACOR in Patients with Hypercholesterolemia
Sub-Investigator Lovastatin Multi-Center Trial
Principal Investigator Extended Trial of Lovastatin XL for the Treatment of Hypercholesterolemia
Principal Investigator Multi-Center Double-Blind Placebo Controlled Trial of Drug (XXXX) In Patients with Type 2 Diabetes and Congestive Heart Failure
Principal Investigator Effect of LDL-Cholesterol Lowering Beyond Currently Recommended Minimum Targets on Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) Recurrence in Patients with Pre-Existing CHD
Principal Investigator A Double-Blind, Multi-Center, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group Dosing Study Evaluating the Effects of Nebivolol on Blood Pressure in Patients with Mild to Moderate Hypertension, NEB 302
Principal Investigator Parallel Group Extension Study to Determine the Safety and Efficacy of Long-Term Nebivolol Exposure in Patients with Mild to Moderate Hypertension NEB 306
Principal Investigator NeoTherapeutics Alzheimer’s Disease 2000
Principal Investigator NeoTherapeutics Alzheimer’s Disease 2001
Principal Investigator OCTAVE Trial
Sub-Investigator OCTAVE Trial
Principal Investigator Pfizer Phase II Multi-Center, Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Randomized Parallel Group Ranging Study of the Safety of CP529, 414 Soft-Gel capsules
Principal Investigator PLATA, AstraZeneca
Principal Investigator PLAC Trial
Principal Investigator Protocol 073 Trial
Principal Investigator Knoll Pharmaceutical Double-Blind Randomized Clinical Trial of Slow Release Propafenone (Rythmol-SR)®) in the Prevention of Symptomatic Recurrences of Atrial Fibrillation
Principal Investigator PREVAIL – A Phase 2 Multi-Center, Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled, Dose-Ranging Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of BO-653 in Prevention of Post=Angioplasty Restenosis in Stented Lesions
Principal Investigator PROVE-IT TIMI 22 – Pravastatin or Atorvastatin Evaluation and Infection Therapy
Principal Investigator PURSUIT Trial
Principal Investigator QUIET Trial
Principal Investigator RAFT Trial
Principal Investigator REPLACE Randomized Evaluation in PCI Linking Angiomax to Reduce Clinical Events
Principal Investigator RESOLUTE Trial
Sub-Investigator Safety and Efficacy Study of Burroughs – Wellcome Tissue Plasminogen Activator in Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction
Principal Investigator A 6-Week, Open-Label, Dose-Comparison Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Rosuvastatin versus Atorvastatin, Cerivastatin, Pravastatin and Simvastatin in Subjects with Hypercholesterolemia
Principal Investigator A 48-Week, Open-label, Non-comparative, Multi-center, Phase IIIb Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of the Lipid-Regulating Agent Rosuvastatin in the treatment of Subjects with Fredrickson Type IIa and Type IIb Dyslipidemia, including Heterozygous Familial Hypercholesterolemia
Principal Investigator SAGE Trial
Sub-Investigator Long Term Open Label Safety and Tolerability Study of SCH58235 in Addition to Pravastatin in Patients with Primary Hypercholesterolemia
Principal Investigator Phase III Double-Blind Efficacy and Safety Study SCH58235 (10 mg) in Addition to Pravastatin Compared to Placebo in Subjects with Primary Hypercholesterolemia
Principal Investigator Phase III Open Label Efficacy and Safety Study SCH58235 (10 mg) in Addition to Pravastatin Compared to Placebo in Subjects with Primary Hypercholesterolemia
Sub-Investigator Protomyxzoa vascular study: Detection of protozoan-based biofilm Communities including protomyxzoa rheumatic (FL 1953) in debris extracted in the normal course of cardiovascular suction atherectomy and related vascular clearance procedcures; Fry Labs
Principal Investigator Sepracor Protocol Study of Norastemizole in Cardiac Compromised Subjects
Principal Investigator SNAPIST – A Phase 2, Safety Study of Systematic Nanoparticle Paclitaxel (ABI-007) for In-Stent Restenosis; IND #63,082
Principal Investigator SPORTIF V – Atrial Fibrillation Trial
Principal Investigator SWORD Trial
Sub-Investigator TIMI 38 Trial
Principal Investigator Titration-to-Response Trial Comparing Micardis and COZAAR® in Patients with Mild-to-Moderate Hypertension
Principal Investigator TNT Trial
Principal Investigator TREND Trial
Principal Investigator ULTRASCORE Trial, A Prospective, Multi-Center, Single-Arm, Real-World Study Assessing Clinical Use of the Bard® UltraScolre™ Focused Force PTA Balloon, CR Bard
Sub-Investigator VALDECOXIB Trial Principal Investigator An Open-Label, Multinational, Multi-Center, Extension Trial to Assess the Long-Term Safety and Efficacy of ZD4522 in Subjects in the ZD4522 Clinical Trial Program
1990 – 1993 Systematic assessment of Medtronic balloons and guiding catheters in porcine and Canine models. Sponsored by Medtronic, Inc.
1990 – 1993 Determination of radiopacity and torquability of Medtronic vascular catheters in Porcine models. Sponsored by Medtronic, Inc.
1990 – 1994 Evaluation of Japan Crescent radiofrequency balloon in porcine model with emphasis On Histopathology of heat-produced lesions. Abstract submitted at 1993 AHA Conference.
1992 – 1996 Evaluation of Strecker in porcine and canine models. Sponsored by Boston Scientific. Evaluation of Wiktor stent and stent in porcine and canine models. Sponsored by Medtronic, Inc. Evaluation of NIR stent in porcine models. Sponsored by Cordis Corp.
1993 Evaluation of radiofrequency wire for total coronary occlusions in porcine models: Determining energy limitations. Equipment subsequently licensed to Radius Medical.
1994 – 1997 Training courses for professionals (physicians, engineers, technicians) in techniques and Strategies for placement of coronary stents. Five courses sponsored by Johnson & Johnson, Medtronic, Inc., and Cook, Inc.
1997 Efficacy of the Endotex Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm exclusion device in a porcine Model gauging ability to exclude renal arteries, ease of placement and radiopacity. Sponsored by Endotex.
1998 Use of percutaneous myocardial revascularization in a porcine model. Sponsored by Cardiogenesis Corporation at Stanford University.
1998 – 1999 Utility of radiofrequency (RF) percutaneous myocardial revascularization in acute and chronic porcine model: Histopathology and angiogensis related to use of RF alone and in combination with growth factor (VEGF). Results presented at Angiogenesis
1999, Washington, D.C.
1999 Development and testing of embolic probe device in porcine model. Performed at PRMC And separately at Columbia Presbyterian in New York (Patent #6,364,900).
1999 Evaluation of the Medtronic carotid and SVG stent in porcine carotid and saphenous vein Graft lesions assessing ease of use and 30-day outcome. Sponsored by Medtronic, Inc.
1999 Development and testing of Protector vascular embolic protection device in porcine Model at Mayo Clinic (Patent #6,364,900).
1999 Evaluation of ability of intramuscular growth factor to stimulate angiogenesis in rabbit hindlimb model at 30 and 60 days post-procedure. Sponsored by Sulzer Medical.
1999 Use of Vesseal device to close porcine peripheral artery tears (Patent #6,159,197). Sponsored by Phoenix Heart Center.
2004 Feasibility of device for fluid removal with porcine model. Sponsored by Transvivo, Inc.
2004 Feasibility of PVI in creating AV Fistulae with porcine model. Sponsored by PVI (Patent #6,464,665).
2005 PFO Closure with StarClose Device. Sponsored by NMT.
2006 New RF wire for coronary and peripheral arteries. Sponsored by Radius Medical.
2006 Snare evaluation for heart and neuro application. Sponsored by Radius Medical.
2007 Surrogate endpoints in PAD. Sponsored by TBD.
2007 PFO and Arrhythmias. Sponsored by Phoenix Heart Center.
2008 Porcine Ventricular Closure Star Close. Sponsored by Abbott.
2008 Ventricular Porcine Closure. Sponsored by Medtronic.
2008 Porcine Ventricular Closure. Sponsored by Edwards.
2008 Cerebral Canine studies. Sponsored by Atrium.
2008 Ventricular Closure with AngioLink.
2010 Transapical Closure in Sheep and Pigs. Access Closure, San Jose, California.
2010 Ventricular Closure Ovoic. Sponsored by Access Closure.
2011 Canine PFO. Sponsored by Gore.
Dr. Heuser has 24 patents granted for different catheters, stents, and other medical devices.
Method and Apparatus for Treating Body Tissues and Bodily Fluids; Patent granted December 12, 2000; Number 6,159,197
2. Hot Tip Catheter; Patent granted February 20, 2001; Number 6,190,379
3. Embolism Prevention Device; Patent granted April 2, 2002; Number 6,364,900
Catheter Apparatus and Method for Arterializing a Vein; Patent granted October 15, 2002; Number 6,464,665
Methods and Apparatus for Treating Body Tissues and Bodily Fluid Vessels; Patent granted October 15, 2002; Number 4,464,681
Catheter for Thermal Evaluation of Arteriosclerotic Plaque; Patent granted March 25, 2003; Number 6,536,949
Small Diameter Snare; Patent granted April 29, 2003; Number 6,554,842
Stent System; patent granted February 22, 2004; Number 6,858,038
Catheter Introducer System; Patent granted January 23, 2007; Number 7,166,088
Methods and Apparatus for Treating Body Tissues and Bodily Fluid Vessels; Patent granted February 20, 2007; Number 7,179,250
Stent with Covering and Differential Dilation; Patent granted November 27, 2007; Number 7,300,459
Catheter System for Connecting Adjacent Blood Vessels; Patent granted May 20, 2008; Number 7,374,567
Catheter Guidewire System using Concentric Wires; Patent granted July 22, 2008; Number 7,402,141
Catheter Introducer System granted on March 29, 2011; Number 7,914,492B2
Catheter System for Connecting Adjacent Blood Vessels granted on November 22, 2011; Number 8,062,321
Catheter Introducer System granted on November 29, 2011; Number 8,066,674
Systems and Methods for Ablation of Occlusions within Blood Vessels granted on October 1, 2013;
Over-the-Needle Guidewire Vascular Access System granted on November 11, 2014; Number 8,882,713
Luer Connector for an Over-the-Needle Guidewire Vascular Access System granted on February 3, 2015; Number 8,945,092B1.
Over-the-Needle Vascular Access Guidewire granted on December 8, 2015; Number 9,205,237.
Methods and Systems for Bypassing Occlusions in a Femoral Artery granted on February 16, 2016; Number 9,259,340.
Differential Dilation Stent and Method of Use granted on April 5, 2016; Number 9,301,830.
Over-the-Needle Guidewire Vascular Access Systems and Methods granted on September 4, 2018; Number 10,065,025B2
Differential Dilation Stent and Method Use granted January 22, 2019; Number 101,829,902B2.
Renal Nerve Denervation Via the Renal Pelvis granted July 23, 2019; Number 10,357.302B2.
Methods and Systems for Bypassing Occlusions in a Femoral Artery granted July 23, 2019; Number 10,265,206B2.